Top 10 phrases you should know in Indonesia

Learning how to speak a little bit of the language in Indonesia has helped me go a long way! It's helped me get cheaper-than-local prices, get on the right bus, learn some sweet stuff from the kids, know what the hell I'm eating and impress the locals. Here are some of my favorite/most useful phrases to know and understand:

1. Mau ke mana? (where are you going) - Indonesian people love to know where you're off to next. Either so they can sell you a ticket for the bus or, more often, just for a friendly chat.

2. Dari mana? (where do you come from) - Of course they equally love to know where you've come from. But this one is tricky: sometimes it can mean where from today, or other times is can mean which country you're from. Usually they're just happen with an answer, they're too polite to tell you you've answered the wrong question.

3. Hati-hati! (Be careful) - I love yelling this out to people when they're doing something that's probably a bit of an OH&S naughty. Always gets a smile. I think they like that I'm looking out for them.

4. Suda lama di Indonesia? (how long have you been in Indonesia) - I usually just give the stock answer of 1 month, it saves hassles.

5. Suda kawin? (are you married) - You could be forgiven for thinking that Indonesian people are a nosey bunch, but maritial status is a major definition of your standing in the family and community. Of course I was already married : )

6. Di mana swami? (where is your husband) - Obvious next question. FYI: he was at home working, unfortunately he didn't have any holidays. Someone has to earn the money, geez!

7. Kamu baik hati (you are very kind) - Always a good one to throw in when bartering for stuff. Said with a smile, this one goes a long way.

8. Wooah, mahal! (wow, it's very expensive) - This one goes hand in hand with a bit of a drama performance.

9. Bisa murah harganya? (can you make it cheaper) - The follow-up question to number 8. And yes, they can make it cheaper.

10. Saya kecil, sama-sama orang Indonesia (I'm small, the same as Indonesians) - Gets a laugh. But I do like that everything here is Bianca-sized.

Ooh there are so many more that I could mention! I actually find now that I am relieved when people don't speak English. It's much easier asking for what I want in the local language. It's been fun!

Get more out of your travels, learn a few important phrases : )